To change the disk type for a VM, the virtual datacentre (VDC) must be assigned multiple disk tiers. For example, an 80% reservation pool may have both Tier 1 and Tier 2 disk available.
VM's can be migrated between disk tiers live. Multiple disk tiers can be associated with a single Pool Type.
Follow these steps to migrate a VM to a different disk tier.
1. From the vCloud Director portal, select VDC > Virtual Machines tab > Details.
2. The VM details screen will appear. Here you can either:
- Change the storage policy under General to move all disks to that particular tier, or
- Under Hard Disks, select the individual policies you need.
3. Change the Tier as appropriate and click Save. It may take a few minutes for the migration to complete, depending on disk size.
4. To view a list and the details of recent tasks, select Recent Tasks at the bottom left of your screen.
5. The Recent Tasks list appears showing the details of VM activity. Select a task to view the details.
6. The Task Details screen appears. Click OK to when you have finished viewing.